Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Sword - Age of winters




















My friend Henry turned me on to these dudes. He knows I like metal and stoner rock and Vikings and stuff, so he made me listen to it and it pretty much rules. It spends a lot of time being pretty much what you'd expect for stoner rock, lots of sabbathy sounds and there's some Kyuss in there too. But it's still a lot better than most. It's got lots of lead breaks instead of solos, ride-heavy drumming, bla bla bla, songs about Freya and stuff, fantasy themed riff rock. Awesome. But dudes, when "Iron Swan" came on, I just about shit my pants because it was just fucking sick. It's mostly worthy of a good solid B, but there are a couple of real standouts where they do less sludging and just play fucking fast and crazy and the album just rules. Get it. Especially you, Bryan.

No comments: