Thursday, April 2, 2009

Stereo Total / Leslie and the LYs - Wonder ballroom, Portland, OR, 4/1/09














Holy shit, dudes. I got invited to go see the Stereo Total show. "OK," I said, "I like those guys well enough, that should be fun." And it was. Stereo Total played a fun set full of the kooky songs they're known for playing, and played it well. Now, I'd been led to believe that they were the headliners, and the ticket reflected this with "STEREO TOTAL" on it in bold type. In fact, another band took to the stage after them. It was Leslie and the LYs, whom I hadn't heard of before, but I had seen a picture of singer Leslie Hall in an amazing gold spandex suit before. So she took to the stage with a couple of backup singers dressed as white tigers and videos of her songs projected onto a screen behind her. No words I can put down will ever do this show justice, but suffice it to say that it rocked the shit out of my fuck. She sings electro songs about gem sweaters and does karate chops. She dedicated a song to Madmartigan and proceded to sing the plot of the movie "Willow". She sang a song about shooting zombies in the head, and on the record it's a duet with Elvira. Fuckin' Elvira! She burned the motherfucker down and closed it out by breakdancing to Shania Twain. She reinvented fun in the form of spandex pants and hideous sweaters covered in rhinestones and puffy paint, high kicking and making bird noises. Look her up on YouTube, and you'll be able to watch the amazing videos she made and showed projected behind her. Also, here's a clip of her performance in Vancouver, BC the night before I saw her. It's amazing.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is definitely not my thing. And it's so painfully obvious that it's yours. Glad you had a good time; I'm personally itching for a good show to pop up.

said...

Them iz some mighty flashy clothes.